Like a hug in the playground, a hot lunch will warm those little bellies on a cold day. So what’s the best way to send hot lunches with your little ones to school? Insulated Food Jars!
Packing warms lunches or leftovers is an easy way to add extra nutrition into the lunchbox while adding some great variety too! How do you get the most from your insulated food jar and how do you know which one is right for your kids? Let’s answer all of your food jar questions!
What should you pack in your Insulated Food Jar?
Insulated food jars aren’t just for packing hot foods! They can be used to keep food cold too, which means your food jar can be used all-year-round. Here are some of my favourite hot and cold food ideas.
- Leftover stir fry
- Chicken Nuggets
- Fried Rice
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Fruit Salad
- Overnight Oats
- Bircher muesli
- Pasta salad
- Smoothie bowl
Should you pre-warm (or pre-cool) your Insulated Food Jar?
Yes! Just like a thermos, your food jar will stay hotter if it is pre-warmed. Fill your food jar with boiling water and allow it to sit for around 10 minutes, before pouring out and adding your food.
It is recommended that you heat your food hotter than if you were eating it straight away before adding to your food jar.
If you have pre-warmed your food jar, you can expect lunches packed at 7am will still be nice and warm by lunchtime! Likewise for chilled if you have packed a cold lunch and pre-chilled.
Which Insulated Food Jar is the right one for you?
This depends on the individual child, how much they eat and how easily they find opening the insulated food jar lid.
- 335ml Capacity
- Carry handle provides leverage for small hands to open independently.
- Included spork utensil tucks away into bumper
- Keeps food cold for up to 7 hours, and warm for up to 5 hours
- 400ml Capacity
- Wide mouth opening - easier to get food in and out!
- Flip-up handle - easy to carry and gives extra leverage when opening
- 5 hours of warming, 7 hours of cooling
- 414ml Capacity
- Comes with a metal Yumbox branded spoon and a silicone band which is removable and makes it easy to store and take along a utensil
- No slip grip design lid
- Keeps food warm 6-8 hours
- Keeps food cold up to 8 hours when using an ice pack
- The bowl is made of 2 layers of food grade stainless steel and vacuum insulated to deliver the most powerful insulation.
- OmieBox uses two types of insulation - air insulation, vacuum insulation plus an airtight seal minimizes heat transfer to keep lunch fresh and yummy.
- Keeps food hot for 3-4 hours.
- Bowl section is removable - can be used as a normal bento box!
If you have any questions about how to get the most out of your Food Jar - get in touch! I’m always more than happy to help.