If your kids are not that into sandwiches, or get bored of them easily, it can be hard to know what else to provide as a substantial lunch in their lunchbox. We have put together some ideas for you - with lots of these recommended by other mums in our Facebook Community!
Here's our list of 25 non-sandwich lunch ideas for kids lunchboxes:
- Pinwheels/scrolls - with fillings like ham and cheese, vegemite and cheese, or pizza (pizza sauce, salami, cheese, chopped spinach)
- Noodles - use an insulated food jar to keep them hot, and add extra veggies to boost the nutrition
- Quiche - make mini lunchbox sized quiches, or make a large once and chop into wedges
- Fried rice
- Grazing box of cheese and crackers, veggie sticks and dip
- Pasta salad (you could use an insulated food jar for this too, to keep it cold)
- Homemade sausage rolls with extra veggies
- Homemade pizza - get creative using an English muffin as the base, or sweet potato
- Mini hot dogs
- Meatballs - and us little Stix skewers to thread them on to
- Rice paper rolls (hot tip is to use cucumber or carrot slices so they don't stick together)
- Fritters - including things like ham and corn or veggies (you could also grate zucchini into them for some hidden greens)
- Potato salad
- Wraps (see this blog post for 10 wrap filing ideas for kids)
- Lasagne bites made with wonton wrappers
- Leftover cold pasta, such as ravioli
- Curry and rice in a food jar
- Cold nachos or deconstructed nachos for the child to put together when they eat it
- Veggie muffins
- Pancakes or pikelets - add spinach to make them Hulk pikelets!
- Hard boiled eggs
Packing school lunches doesn't have to be difficult! With a good quality airtight lunchbox, some clever accessories and a bit of planning you'll save youself a lot of time (and washing up!).
Shop our range of kids lunchboxes and accessories by visiting our online store.